Tuesday, November 16, 2010

G'day! Gloria Jean's vs. Starbucks



G'day as they say in Australia! First of all, good luck on your DCA this week and read the questions and work on the maps carefully!

The long flight (20 hours) is a story of the past. Australia is 18 hours ahead of Denver time and I am writing this blog during Tuesday afternoon which is late in the evening on Monday for you.
Summer is almost here! (That is not an error in Ms. Donahue's typing) Be sure to ask Mr. Gerber why the northern hemisphere is in winter and why Australia is heading into the summer.

The first stop on my journey is to a southeastern coastal city, Melbourne, a city of approximately 3 million people. The population is slightly larger than Denver's. Do you know which Australian state Melbourne is in? Do you know what type of animal and marine species live in and around Melbourne? Do you know what culture is like for residents of this populated Australian city? Do you know what physical features make up this region? I will be discovering some of these answers over the next few days! What new information did you learn last Friday about Australia? Be sure to email a friend or me what you found interesting.

I wanted to share some of happenings during my first two days that made me think about our classes. Since we have been learning about culture in LA & SS classes, I find myself wanting to learn more about culture too! My first culture quest was to compare coffee. I began this morning with a latte from Gloria Jean's (The Australian version of Starbucks). Coffee/Tea beverages mostly certainly fall under the universal of culture, food, as you know. The cost for the coffee drink was slightly more expensive that what someone would pay for the same coffee drink in America. As for the taste, I would give a slight edge to Gloria Jean's, but not by much!

As you learn more about Australia, do you think the culture and life of Melbourne looks more similar or different than Denver? Why?

** I am unable to upload photographs or videos from my personal camera and hope to be able to tomorrow - **

Next Blog: Grey Nurse shark, King Penguins, Gentoo Penguins, fresh water eels, Southern Ocean marine life, Globe Fish, coral atoll, Giant Pacific Octopus- stay tuned for the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment